Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Anything in the class so far

Of all the things we have done in this class so far, my favorite was reading and discussing workings of the brain and emotional bankruptcy by Scott Fitzgerald. I found this particularly interesting and entertaining because I could relate to its generalizations on human nature and discussions of the workings of the brain. This enhanced interest gave me a much clearer and more accurate understanding of the reading, making it significantly more enjoyable. 
The connections I could make with real life helped my understanding because, I felt, they gave the complex ideas an essence of tangibility. While ideas about matters I had never heard of or discussed before would usually elude my comprehension, seeing the explanations in myself and others locked in the precise meaning, which would have otherwise blurred over, providing me with only a vague idea of the reading's purpose.
I generally liked this reading because it, unlike most other readings I am given, seemed to have one clear meaning that I could recognize. While experiences remain solid in the mind, words can only help describe those experiences so the fact that i could relate the words to a specific experience in my life helped immensely. 

No comments: