Tuesday, November 11, 2008

BLOG

In this reading, I found it particularly moving when linda describes the reaction of the white population to the Turner Rebellion. She mentions the cruelty and mistreatment of both the slaves by the slave owners and later moves on to describe how blacks as a race were treated in the South. She then also mentions the slaveless white farmers, and though without any slaves of their own, in many instances they are more cruel to the slaves than the masters are. She then goes to use more graphic imagery to ensure a greater emotional attachment to the slaves. After she had described the punishments of innocent men based on race and class using graphic terms like "the blood stood... at their feet," I deeply sympathized with the blacks she was referring to, and I felt that she was successful in her rhetorical plot. 

No comments: