Monday, October 20, 2008

More speeches

The speeches were overall pretty good. While some speeches had their flaws, and sometimes I had strong and general rebuttals that were not addressed in any way during some of the speeches, I found that the majority of the speeches either never had those errors or made up for them with charismatic speaking, eye contact, and rather touching appeals to pathos.
Now I will blog about some specific speeches. Sammie did the poor house. It was a great speech. The appeal to pathos was intense. When she was done I felt compelled to donate to her cause.

Mathew Ciulla made an excellent speech on boyscouts of America. I found this speech to be particularly interesting because of his charismatic nature and insight into the purpose of his organization. He illustrated the need for boyscouts of America. He stated that the true purpose of boyscouts of America was to establish a father figure for orphans, those who had been abandoned, those neglected by their fathers, and even for those who had been blessed with great fathers, it was to help them manage their lives, learn to be honorable and to obey the rules, and to learn the skills and confidence necessary to become successful. 

No comments: