While I hate to appear a liar, I have never personally been openly racist. While I have sometimes made jokes about various races and made jokes about how ridiculous it is to be absurdly racist, I never feel like I have discriminated. This is most likely because I never met anyone of a different race other than Sonia before coming to University.
Tuesday, November 4, 2008
Racism
Coming from a school which had no diversity, I honestly have never had a racial encounter worth mentioning. I have, however, seen a bit of racism take place. Once when I was in a car, one of my friends parents was angry that he had just been cut off by a man on a bike. After he had come to a screeching halt, out of anger, he shouted that he should slam on the brakes whenever he sees a black person on the side of the road. This is the end of my story, and it is the most racism I have ever witnessed in my life. It seemed interesting that he blamed the fact that he was cut off on the fact that the guy riding the bike was black. It seems that this is the easiest way to do things.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
JD- I liked your blog, and i thought your depiction of the story was very interesting. I think however, you exaggerated your lack of involvement with people of other races at sycamore. For example, Kwame went to sycamore, or of you wanted people in our class there was christian, joey, and Dan-Dan. However, in general it is irrelevant because your statment still holds true.
Post a Comment