Wednesday, March 18, 2009

When Wright reaches the end of the novel he realizes that everyone is suffering in the way that he had been suffering throughout his life. He discovers that even the white race, which had abusively dominated the black race through racist ideals, was miserable. He realizes that this is the case because when he tries to no longer be a member of the communist party, the communist party continues to pester him and discredit him due to his unusual status as a writer. He was also denied a place in the March Day Parade, a politicly unbiased celebration of the based, simply because of the color of his skin. I believe in his philosophy to some extent, but it seems a bit like a complaint because he has been discriminated against for so long. While his opinion has some validity, it was spawned through great annoyance and hatred of the illogical racism that was rampant in society. Thusly, It is very unlikely that he would have come to this conclusion had he been white, which ethos finds very unappealing.  

2 comments:

Arnold Friend said...

Do you really think that he only discovers the white race is miserable at the end of the book? I think that he is aware of it much earlier, like when he talks about the waitresses not being able feel any real emotion. Also, it's May Day, not "March Day". I'm not sure if you actually grasped the realization he had, but you're blog is still well-written. Keep up the good work!

J. Ray said...

I would agree with much of your analysis, but i ask; was he kicked out of the march because he was black, or because the communist party had such contempt against him. I like the way you refute is claim. Would his conclusion have been different if his life had been different. An interesting thought, but unfortunately we'll never know.