Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Nonacademic education

I love my nonacademic education. University High School more than any other schooling location has taught me the more subtle aspects of school life. More than just Science and English, University High School has taught me how to talk to people, discuss problems with teachers, and develop valuable relationships with my peers. One of the more valuable aspects of University High School with regard to nonacademic education is the mentoring system. The mentoring system helps me deal with my problems in a rational way, but most of the time, I do not have problems that I need to discuss with my mentor. J-term is also very non-academicly valuable. J-term develops a lighter side to school, students, and teachers, by reducing stress, focusing on one subject, and through choice, allows students to focus on areas they are most interested in. With school established as a lesser problem, students can focus on nonacademic enrichment with each other and with their teachers. Extracurricular activities have also been a vital part of my nonacademic development. They allow me to get to know teachers and students in a nonacademic setting. That allows me to develop  myself non-academically. 

No comments: