Monday, April 20, 2009
blogggggg
My gender is that I am male. I have been male my whole life. When I was younger, however, my idea of being male was very tentative. I was unsure of what it meant to be male or why people did what they did to flaunt their gender. While part of me understood the fact that males would want to flaunt their superior strength, the flaunting of prepubescent strength seemed very strange to me. At that stage there was very little discernible difference in strength. Girls would generally be weaker, but often there were girls who would be stronger than most males in the class. Regardless of how abnormally strong the girl was, it was devastating to lose to a girl in a battle of strength. This illustrates that these children, and I, had already been conformed to certain ideas about gender. Men were supposed to be strong and women were supposed to be inferior in that field. When a child attempted to ignore the stereotype they would be ridiculed by their peers. At this age, children are not very intelligent and would rather accept another person's view of the world than to formulate a view of their own because it is easier. Thus, my view of gender is stereotypical.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment