Friday, April 10, 2009

eustace

Based on the criteria discussed, Eustace does appear to be a transcendentalist. Tired of the changes and rules inherent of the humanized world, Eustace decided to live out in the wild where there were no rules. He takes great appreciation in all of the animals and trees in the wild and he shows appreciation for the way in which the utilization of the nature allows him to live. Transcendentalists have an opinion very similar to this. They believe that the every animal contains a piece of divinity, and that in the instance that one world conflicts with their beliefs, they can use their influence to change that and create a new world. In moving out to the wild to rid himself of the classic human influence and trends, Eustace created a new world for himself. In this world the opinions of all of the other humans in the worlds are of miniscule importance. He maps his life the way that he wants to and he acknowledges the importance of the animals that he must kill in order to survive. In this way he is a transcendentalist. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think a central goal of transcendentalism is creating your own world - removing yourself from the cheap influences of the human world in order to realize the great importance of nature. So, I agree. I think Eustace is a transcendentalist. Marching by the beat of your own drum, elevating yourself above other people's opinions is, I think, the conclusion of transcendentalism. Eustace has reached this point.